Monday, September 1, 2008

Never piss off a Doctor when you live in a small town.

So much has happened since my last post. I just now feeling like sitting at the computer (on a pillow) and the colanoscopy I had was almost 3 weeks ago! If I had met Catie Couric the day after the procedure I would have smacked her. WHO EVER SAID IT DOESN'T HURT JUST LIED! For 4/5 days after the pain and discomfort was terrible. It felt like someone was bowling through my upper and lower intestines. I could do nothing but lay down and try to sleep it away. They took biopsies of a few unusual looking growths and thank GOD I don't have Cancer but they are no closer to knowing WHY I have such horrible pain with constant diarrhea and nausea.
I have been seeing my small town Doctors since moving to the area in the early 90's. I have had colitis since I was a child. Though I was often bothered by it, the Colitis never effected my life until after my gallbladder surgery. Since then (about 5 years ago) I have used more toilet paper, soap and hand sanitizer than I have in all my previous 50+ years! I have also had petti-mal seizures since I was about 4 years old. Last year I had a spider bite that made me really sick. I went to our local clinic for antibiotics and had a seizure while in the exam room. The attending nurse was very concerned and recognized it as a seizure but the Nurse Practitioner (who is a condescending prick towards women) charted it as a 'light headed spell'. After vomiting green bile for 15 minutes and laying on the exam table for over 30/40 minutes trying to get my brain back in control. Again, this wasn't charted. When he came in and out to check on my progress kept patting me (pounding me) on the head while talking to my boyfriend, as if I were a puppy or child. My Richard and the attending nurse could tell the head patting/pounding was uncomfortable and irritating me I finally got the strength to smack his had away the next time he came in and started up again. He pulled his hand away and said "Well, aren't we cranky! I'll come back when she's in a better mood!" turned and left! The attending wanted me to go to the emergency ward but I begged Richard please just take me home. We don't have insurance and I have been out of work due to the colitis. This doctors visit was being paid for from Richards pocket coming out of his land payment.No way I was going to run up a hospital bill for what I know was a seizure and not one the hospital cold do anything about. Now, more than a year later I ask for a copy of all my medical record for a Social Security Disability claim. Thats when I found out the jerk hadn't charted my spider bite visit correctly not to mention all the previous years of charting was condescending and often didn't even mention the reason I was in the office to begin with.
We have a local chat room and Richard posted a question regarding the NP, asking if anyone had any comments about him and his medical ability or bedside manor. We had emails, phone calls and folks stopping us in the street to tell their horror story in connection with this NP. I called and complained to the office manager and told her I was also filing a complaint to the State Board of Nursing against this NP.....again folks we live in a very small town.
The next time I go to the medical clinic I was in the waiting room when they made an announcement that one of the Doctors was running at least an hour or more late. The 6/7 patients waiting could either see the NP from hell or set another appointment. One woman said she'd wait 3 hours if she had to but she wouldn't see the NP. 'No damn way!'...everyone else made a new appointment and left!! When I got back into the exam room to see a different Nurse Partitioner whom I'd had a good relationship with and trusted, I was shocked and disappointed when I was treated like I had just slaughtered a litter of kittens or something! No hug, our usual greeting but instead I was given the cold shoulder and a few shrugs regarding my medical complaints and although she suggested my getting the colanoscopy she didn't set up any appointment for me, I had to call the surgeon myself. I was a bit puzzled at her reaction to me but it wasn't until last week when I went in after having bloody foamy loose stools all day/evening Sunday. That it went beyond a cold shoulder experience and I realized they really don't want me back at the one and only medical clinic in our area. I explained the bleeding to the attending nurse who was quite concerned and said " I know she (the NP) will want to do these test." Blood, stool, etc... and set out what the NP would be needing, handed me a gown to change and left. I heard the NP take my chart out of the slot on the door, she groaned before she came in the door and promptly said when she saw the exam and testing material set out before her "I am NOT going to do any of these test, you can get dressed"...indifferent to the puzzled look on my face. I asked her to read the results of my Colanoscopy,she did. I asked her why I had bleeding, she said it happens, I asked her what about the pain, she said all she would do is give me a script for sapausatories. Mind you I never ask for pain med's. I don't like taking to many pills and am not at all a pill freak. She knows this. I am really worried about the blood and pain...she said to talk to the surgeon and there was nothing more she could do for me. I got the hint this time and I won't be back to the clinic but this means I have to drive over and hour one way to try to find a new doctor. Did I mention I don't have a car????? I have one I can borrow most times when needed but still, an hour 1 way! God help me if I bleed to death on the way.
I was nauseated all day day today. No bloody stools and thats a blessing but I do wish the pain would ease up a bit. I get so tired of hurting.Tired of pooping. Sick and tired of being sick and tired.......

No comments:


Flocks of love to ya!